Streptocarpus Dimetris

* FAQ    * Search    * Watermarks
 * Register   * Login 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:33 pm 

Discussion about this hybrid started with comparison of two very similar varieties: Dracula Shadow (Thompson) - right and DS-Siberia - left

The reason that this one ended up in Dimetris' Catalog is that indeed they are different.

DS-Siberia is larger - more than 2.5". In the beginning of the discussion Pavel called it "The Rhino" - not a nice name for the flower.
DS-Siberia has darker more saturated color. It also could be seen on color of the peduncles. It usually means that plant has more pigments which in turns means, that color of the blossom is more resistant to bleaching. DS-Siberia peduncles are also stronger.

After big success in the shows this hybrid was given name DS-Siberia. I do not know why forumchane (people in forum) think that this name is not good for this flower. They think that Siberia associates with white color. I disagree. Siberia is huge and rich with nature, people, natural researches. I personally love the name.

Petals of this blooms are very thick, so blossoms are heavy. However, we could see that one peduncle could have up till three blossoms.

This hybrid is very prolific bloower.

The edge of the blossom is wavy.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 pm 

I just LOVE the color of this one! I have admired it for some time!

Karen

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
~ Marcus Tullius Cicero

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:45 pm 

I know that often cameras have a difficult time capturing true color in purples and blues (at least for me). Do you think this one more strongly favors purple or blue? Photos I have seen make it look more blue to me... which I like very much!

Karen

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
~ Marcus Tullius Cicero

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Я фотографирую фотоаппаратом без конвертации в JPEG
Обрабатываю файлы RAW - это файлы которые дает сама матрица фотоаппарата.
В этих файлах охвачено наибольшее цветовое пространство.
Для подготовки файлов для ВЕБ я стараюсь показать максимально точно цвет насколько это возможно.
Мы можем похвастать тем. что наши фотографии самые правдивые.
Но!
Это цвет тех цветов, что выращены нами в наших условиях.
И если мы начнем более глубоко разбирать свойства антоцианов, то поймем, что у вас этот же сорт в ваших услвоиях может отличаться по оттенку.
Антоцианы сильно реагируют не только на кислотность, но и соотношение катионов.
Например, при увеличении катионов кальция и магния, или при щелочной среде цвет будет изменяться больше в фиолетовый. При увеличении катионов калия, или в более кислой среде цвет будет больше к красному.

Here is my (Francheska) attempt to translate Pavel's response.

When I photograph our plant the mail goal is to show colors as accurately as possible. I think the main trick is the following: I shoot with the camera which does not convert fails to JPEG format. My camera process the files with RAW which much better for colors than JPEG. But! It is the color of the flowers that are grown by us and in our conditions.

However, if we begin analyze the properties of anthocyanins, we might notice that the same variety grown in your home could have slightly different tint. Anthocyanins react strongly not only to acidity, but to concentration and proportions of ions. For example, an increase concentration of calcium and magnesium ions, or in alkaline soil the color will change toward violet. With increase of potassium ions or in even more alkaline soil the color becomes reddish.

Francheska

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:53 am 

Karen,
Quote:
I know that often cameras have a difficult time capturing true color in purples and blues (at least for me). Do you think this one more strongly favors purple or blue? Photos I have seen make it look more blue to me... which I like very much!

This is exactly right color of Pavel's plants